On Discovering Ex-Teen Vogue Editor-In-Chief Elaine Welteroth

PHOTO: @Elainewelteroth


When I first met Elaine Welteroth, not like really met. I mean I met her on the Freeform series Grown-ish; a spinoff from ABC series Black-ish. It was in the first season of Grown-ish that I met her. Perhaps E8. And I don’t want to bore you with the scenery but lead character Joey Johnson has just gotten the Teen Vogue fellowship and she decides to share it with her thousands of social media friends. Fast forward to five or six scenes later. Elaine Welteroth walks in with her seven inch Afro curls and a spectacular lens, putting on a flail-segment gown and then she says

“Hi everyone, gather around, I have a little big of announcement to make. Come on guys”. (Stops, breathes, begin again) “ So, as Editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, each semester I tend to hand select one of the  fellows to shadow me through all of my every day’s responsibilities. And after much deliberation, I have decided to go with JOEY JOHNSON.”  (Applauds shatters, Joey blushes, get OMG!).



On discovering Elaine Welteroth, I didn’t know she was Elaine Welteroth, either did I know she was Teen Vogue Editor-in-chief. What first captures you to her is her Afro curls; it’s anything beauty can take shape of. I kind of feel in America, that hair really defines black women; I mean hair is something political, of identity and whenever conversations about black women’s hair are introduced, it's something classist.


Elaine Welteroth was just 29 years old when she was appointed as Teen-Vogue Editor by Vogue Editor Anna Wintour and was the Youngest Conde Nast Editor in its 108 years of existence. However, Elaine Welteroth  resigned after Conde Nast closed down the print edition of Teen Vogue.



Faith is what takes Elaine Weltroth and I believe as a black woman who cherish more about fashion and cultural balance; she is someone worth working for.

Comments